Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Bowling!

On Friday night, the teachers from the kindergarten took us bowling after work. We don't really get to hang out with them outside of school, so I was pretty excited to go. We first had dinner at the food court at the Big Hop before going. The three new teachers for this coming school year were all very eager to help us. They asked us tons of questions to practice their English and helped us order our food. I'm not sure if they knew that we've been here for 2 1/2 months already and have been getting our own food this whole time! They were so helpful that they wouldn't even let us carry out own trays or and got us plenty of water refills. It was nice, but a little overwhelming. I ordered a bowl of noodles with some vegetables and broth and a side of tempura. One of the teachers got a box of taco yaki (octopus balls- remember way back at the beginning of the trip when we helped make these?) so I had a few of those too.
The only noticeable thing about bowling in Japan is the shoes! We had to put a little bit of money into a vending machine and pushed to the button for our shoe size and then they fell out the bottom! They were actually cute and I was hoping we could keep them, but sadly we had to give them back when we were done.
I'm not a very good bowler, but the teachers weren't either so the scores were pretty low across the board. We had four teams of 4 teachers and played two games. I started off ok, but I did terrible my second game. My parents play in a bowling league and I think they'd be embarrassed of me if I wrote my scores, so I'll just say that they weren't that great! My team ended up in third place overall, so we bought the second place team ice cream. It was lots of fun though and everyone got really into in; we were all cheering loud and being obnoxious-totally different from what the teachers are like at school! Here's my team looking really fierce!

1 comment:

  1. I could destroy you in bowling. Fyi.

    Mike seems really excited to play in that pic.

    ReplyDelete